With spring upon us, now is the time to start designing your backyard. This year, you may want to go for a completely new look and having your yard as a great entertainment space. There are many do’s and don’ts when it comes to designing your backyard to ensure that it is functional and aesthetically pleasing.
The Do’s Of Designing Your Backyard
There are several things you will definitely want to do when designing your backyard, and they include:
- Planning. Before you start planting and changing things in your backyard, you will want to plan out what you want to do. Do you want to create an entertainment space? Do you want to create a food garden with a ton of edible plants? Ask yourself these questions and more and write them down. Once you have done your backyard plans, you will be able to get started.
- Budgeting. In addition to designing your backyard, you will want to have a budget in mind. Doing landscaping and adding things to your backyard can be expensive, especially when it comes to fencing and building patios. Take a look at your finances and have a budget in mind and try your best to stick to it.
- Pests. One of the most important things that you can do before starting your design for your backyard is to make sure that it is treated for pests. For example, if you plan to put in some wood fencing and you have termites, your wood could be eaten very quickly. Getting pest control will help to ensure that your yard is free from any kind of pests. Search in your area for a good pest control company for example you might search for pest control in Redding, CA if you live in California.
- Look at other backyards. Take a look at some other backyards for inspiration. You can look at your neighbor’s backyard, and you can look online to see what would work in your area.
- Plants. If you plan to add plants to your backyard, consider where they will be planted, the sunlight they need, as well as any upkeep. If you plan to plant a few trees, take a look at your property line to ensure that they will not infringe on your neighbor’s property. You will also want to make sure that you add seed to your grass and take the time to fertilize it as well.
Don’ts Of Designing Your Backyard
Here are several things that you should not do when designing your backyard:
- Don’t Clutter. You do not want to clutter your backyard with planters, statues, and other things. Having too much stuff in your backyard can make it hard to take care of. Generously space things out and keep in mind when you will have to mow. You do not want to put things in an area where you will have to remove them just to weed-eat or mow the grass.
- Don’t Forget About Mulching. Do not forget to mulch. Mulching can help keep weeds away from all of your plants and help you to have a beautiful-looking yard. You can get all-natural mulch and colored mulch from your local hardware store. If you want to go completely all-natural, using pine needles will help.
- Don’t Forget To Ask For Help. Far too often, people will start designing their backyard only to get frustrated at the fact that they do not know what they want to be done or how to do it. Never be afraid to ask for help. You can ask for help on online forums, or you can even ask a landscaping company to come out and do your backyard for you. Asking for help can help ease your stress and ensure that you have your yard looking great.
Following all these do’s and don’ts will have your backyard looking amazing. Do not forget to take your time and plan out your backyard.