Construction Costs for any home can vary greatly depending on the size, design, project specifications, quality, and many other factors that impact and add to the total construction cost. Whether your home improvement project involves new construction or a renovation, you will more than likely have to face the unpleasant truth about construction cost. Home construction projects big or small, can add up to big bucks. When planning to build a new home or looking to renovate your existing home, being proactive and aware that glitches will occur more often than not will help ease the process.
We gathered up a list of common construction money-saving tips that may be resourceful and helpful for your next home remodel or renovation project.
The Truth About Construction Costs
- Imagine Your Dream – Before you seek out an architect, you should draw out your ideas of the home remodel project that you would like. If you are adding or expanding a room, think about how the space will be used and how the changes will affect living patterns. Also consider how new construction will affect the overall context of your home. An oversized addition may overpower your house or crowd a small lot. With many simple home design software programs available online you can easily visualize your project.
- Acquire Knowledge From Others – One of the best ways to get inspiration and to avoid pitfalls is to survey experiences of other homeowners. In addition, there are numerous websites such as Houzz and Pintrest that offer images and chronicles of home improvement projects.
- Going Green – With the entire industry at a buzz over the abundant array of “green” products and materials, as a consumer, you should understand that you might not see the benefits of savings at the very start. By going green, however you will enjoy a reduced energy bill and consumption in the long run. Look for energy efficient materials like double paned windows, Energy Star appliances, lighting, air conditioning, heating systems and high preforming value insulation. It’s time to start thinking of sustainability more as a built-in utility rather than a fashion trend.
- Define Your Construction Budget – Chances are, your remodeling project will cost more than you expect. Even the most finely tuned budgets can go bust. A great rule of thumb is to identify the most important priorities of your project in order to save you money in the long run. Often times we get distracted by small, tiny, insignificant details, that we forget why we really started the home improvement project in the first place. Be realistic with what is attainable based on your precise budget and set your expectations with the builder.
- Find A Reliable Team – Most likely you are planning on hiring professional, unless you plan to take on the entire remodeling project by yourself. Obviously, you'll want to make sure that who ever you choose to work with is licensed, qualified, and properly insured. Keep in mind that finding the best team for your remodeling project goes beyond a simple reference check.
If you’re ready to take the next step and start your home improvement project, whether you are looking to add-on, renovate a room, or remodel the whole house, start by contacting Imagineer Remodeling for a free in-home consultation. We’re here to answer all your questions and provide you with a free budget cost analysis.